Special Education Law
Representation of School Districts
As special education counsel to public school districts, the firm is devoted to the effective handling of the complex legal issues which arise every day. Many of the attorneys of this firm routinely advise school districts in the legal and practical aspects of the development and implementation of Individualized Education Plans (“IEP”). Our experience in the field allows us to assist school districts in navigating the complexities of the special education field. Our attorneys are committed to the defense of school districts’ positions at impartial hearings, and in appeals before the Office of State Review, and State and Federal Courts.
Representation of Parents and Students in cases against the New York City Department of Education
Although the firm does not represent parents or students on Long Island and Upstate New York due to our representation of school districts in those areas, Guercio & Guercio, LLP is committed to representing the interests of students with special needs within the five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island.
Our knowledge and experience in advising school districts in special education law is invaluable to our parent and student clients in their actions against the Department of Education. In fighting for your disabled student, our special education attorneys will take the time to talk with you about your child and his or her unique needs. Whether your child needs a specialized school or additional services, we have the experience and knowledge to help.
Guercio & Guercio, LLP is unique in its representation because we know the Department of Education’s legal obligations to provide your child with a Free and Appropriate Public Education (“FAPE”) and we know how to get your child what he or she is legally entitled under the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (“IDEA”) and other laws. We can assist you in the following areas:
- Advising parents on the various laws protecting the educational rights of their child;
- Reviewing all of your child’s medical and educational records in order to help you determine what is the appropriate program or services for your child;
- Attending Committee on Special Education (“CSE”) meetings to assist in the development of an appropriate IEP or transition plan for your child;
- Representing families at Impartial Hearings, Appeals before the Office of State Review and Federal and State Courts;
- Representing families at Suspension Hearings and Manifestation Reviews.
At Guercio & Guercio, LLP we regularly provide presentations free of charge to the community in order to build awareness among parents, schools, and the legal community about various special education issues. Check our “News and Events” section of the webpage to find our next special education presentation.